Saturday, September 29, 2007

Blog for October 2nd.

On page 57 of Routman's text, Regie states, "Worksheets foster mediocrity." Do you agree or disagree? Why? Here's my input on this topic.
While I understand the view that an over-reliance on worksheets used in an ininteresting, irrelevant, and unchallenging environment most likely would lead to a medial classroom standard, I don't view worksheets as being totally taboo and without some merit. Let me tell you why. Before I decided to pursue an educaation degree, I did some field research. I got on the phone, called up principals, explained my situation, and asked if I would be able to interview teachers. To my great surprise, most schools were very accommodating. A lot of teachers responded to my request. It is from talking with these teachers, listening to their different teaching philosophies, and observing them at work that I can say with surety that there are capable teachers out there who would take umbrage with Routman's statement in the context it was written.
Primarily, most of these teachers taught grades K-3. From what I remember observing, their use of worksheets, for the most part, was in conjunction with the "Balanced Literacy" programs that some of these teachers were using. A common factor I noticed among these classrooms was the number of interesting and challenging centers each one employed. I observed students who were on-task and engaged in their activities - even the worksheet activities! While worksheet activity certainly didn't rule the curriculum, it was viewed as a useful tool, in particular, to reinforce phonics' learning.
My experience with these teachers, I think, is the reason Routman's statement jumped off the page at me. In my own teaching practice, I'm not going to exclusively rule out the use of worksheets. I think that's a bit extreme. I'll use worksheets, in moderation, if I feel it's necessary to use them. In the younger grades, I feel that worksheets can be appropriately used as useful reinforcers of application activities. As Gail Tompkins "Literacy for the 21 st Century" suggests, if you're going to use worksheets, try to address a variety of skills, have several levels, and look for different interests. I think that's sound advice. As always, I believe a mix of professional common sense and good judgement should prevail.

6 comments:

Meggs said...

I agree with you. Many of my other classes have brought up the evils of worksheets. I agree that they should not be your central tool but they have there place in the classroom.

Anonymous said...

I agree that worksheets have a place in the classroom, but there are a lot of hazards to worksheets. I know a teacher who relys on worksheet primarily, and her classes have struggled because of this crutch. It's important for Education classes to emphasize a specific time and place for worksheets to be applied.

Melissa said...

Ha Ha, we just had that conversation on Friday about worksheets so it's funny that you chose to write about it. I agree with you, worksheets do have purpose in the classroom but they should not be abused and used all the time, as a teacher we must mix it up a bit to address all the different learning styles in out classroom.

edel408-2007 said...

Good to see some questioning of received wisdom, no matter the source. A problem with worksheets is the "1 size fits all" approach, but teachers can work against this. If the worksheets are "decontextualized" and not connected to what students are doing, then they are not helpful. If, however, you can make ones to relate specifically to what you are teaching, using examples from your class literature, then you have a better chance of using them productively. ...Jill

Shannon Letendre said...

In my IPT my mentor teacher explained to me the difference between 'worksheets' and 'activity sheets' and this has really stuck with me. She explained that the latter, as you mentioned, are used to reinforce and provide practice and skill generalization for students. She was strongly in favor of these and I used them often in my practicum. The former, she explained were often used by teachers to actually teach concepts and skills to students, essentially having them learn off the page, not through active involvement in the class. Perhaps this is the definition of 'worksheets' that Routman is working with?!

Carla said...

I think there is a time and place for everything. With worksheets I thnk you have to be careful not to have the sheets "teach the children" which is very much the case unfortunately. I think some have some great value but never to be used to teach skills initially, but instead used more for practice.